Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Overcoming Fear

Yesterday, June 1st, I took Cali out to the desert again. I led her for about a mile and a half through the neighborhood. When we got out to big desert before the beltway, I mounted. She had been dragging her behind all the way out there, but as soon as I got on, her head went up. Something out there was bothering her, we took several steps, but she stopped, staring hard and I knew what was coming. She spun around and went to bolt, but I was ready and pulled her around and jumped off. I gave her a firm talking to, " You better NOT dump me out here!" I led her forward a little, and she settled down. I got back on. I rode her for about a mile, then got off and led her again. We did that a couple of times. I mostly led her though. I think we went about four miles altogether. We walked down the shoulder of a pretty busy street, Ann Road. I had her go through some puddles left by a very brief rain, which she tried to avoid at all costs. Eventually went through. She seems perfectly content to walk beside me; she's still not too sure about having me on her back. She's not sure I can still be a good leader from up there. The only way I can prove it to her is to get up there and do it. We both have fears to overcome, but I have to be the brave one. Every day that she doesn't dump me is a good day. It would be nice to go riding with someone who had a seasoned trail horse to help her build her confidence and mine.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing a fine job! If I were nearer, I would most definatly volunteer for the 'seasoned trail horse/mule' position~ heck, I would even lead & walk along with you... I need the exercise anyway! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I appreciate the thought. Do you have a mule? I would love to hear more about that. I always thought my next horse would be a mule. They're amazing.

    ReplyDelete