Friday, March 6, 2009

Conditioning MY A**


Okay, so I'm 46 years old and gave birth to my 6th child 2 years ago on my back porch. It's taken me this long to get motivated to get back in shape; needless to say, the birth was a little harder on my a** and back at this age. When I found out I was getting a horse, my first thought was "if we're gonna do endurance, I need to start working out! Stephan and I get up at 5:00 am, go to the gym and I walk on the treadmill  for 30-40 mins. I've been adding longer sessions at a steep incline mixed with fast walking. Then, I do 20 minutes of weight training. Of course, I have to clean stalls, which involves an hour each day of pretty heavy work, all while keeping up with the 2 year old who wants to say "hi" to all the horses. Most days, I feel like I've been beaten with a stick, but hey, if I'm gonna do endurance, I need to endure. I actually enjoy cleaning the stalls and interacting with each horse. I feel completely at home in the barn. I'm sure some folks would be mortified to see me nursing my baby next to a pile of manure, but from what I can tell, no matter what you do someone will be bothered. My point is, I finally have Calico to motivate me to push myself beyond my perceived limits and make me try activities I've only dreamed of before. If I'm going to condition her for endurance, then she's going to condition me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment