Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Learning as we go


I can't believe it's been so long since I posted anything, oh wait, I've been posting the trot! Calico has been ridden about seven times now and she's doing great. She seems very relaxed and we've been working on trotting a lot more, doing lots of serpentines and circles and some backing. I've been using Dr. Cook's bit-less bridle on her, but she manages to flip the reins into her mouth and she's almost chewed through the bio-thane. I ordered a similar style from Crazy Ropes by Debbie Hanson. Tamara from the Barb Wire blog recommended it. It came yesterday, and she did very well in it. I love the teal color on her and she's not that interested in chewing on it. I watched some of Chris Irwin's riding videos last night, and I feel like I don't know anything about riding. I thought I was doing pretty well and she was responding to my cues, but now I see that I make all kinds of mistakes, and I'm inadvertently sending her mixed messages or throwing her off balance, which throws me off balance which REALLY throws her off balance. There's always so much to learn. It's gonna take a while for all this info to start sinking into my brain, settling into my seat and leg and becoming automatic, fluid messages to my horse. I'm going to have to build up to the physical demands of riding a posting trot. I've got miles to go. Part of me is afraid to ride her for fear of messing things up; and part of me knows that the only way to improve is by doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment