Friday, May 15, 2009

Helldorado






Well it's that time of year again. In Las Vegas we're celebrating Helldorado Days. This is one of those events that always brings to mind fond memories of my childhood. It's also one of those events that makes this still seem like a small town. There's a carnival, parade, poker tournament, and now back for the first time in 10 years the rodeo. The parade goes right down 4th street near my house to Fremont St. I just love that people ride horses in downtown Las Vegas, and I have a secret ambition, okay it's not really secret, of riding Calico in the parade next year. My grandma used to tell a sweet story of how she rode her little pinto in the 4th of July parade in Springer, NM. It was a sorrel pinto, so she would put blue in it's mane to make it red, white and blue. She could make it dance a jig, and rear up and she would hold on with her one good arm. My grandma was severely burned at the age of three in an accident, and so her dad got her a pony when she recovered. He was the foreman of the CS Ranch, and she would follow him all around. He later became the sherrif of Colfax County.

I finally got a cinch to go with my new saddle, so I rode Cali a little today. I'd just been lunging her for the past few weeks. I can't quite get over how sweet she is. I have to start going out very early because it's too hot by 10 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment