Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Twenty Mule Team Ride

It's settled. Robin and I are planning to enter the 35 mile limited distance ride in Ridgecrest, CA on February 27! This should be a perfect beginner ride for Cali and me. I have a lot of preparations to make, I'm excited to get started. Knowing that I won't be doing it alone certainly makes it easier. We are approaching the entire weekend as a training session, so there's no pressure. It's more of an introduction to the sights and sounds of endurance for Cali. I think the biggest challenge for her will be coping with the distraction of a large group of horses while I'm asking her to focus on my cues. The herd instinct is so strong; it can be hard to keep a horse under control especially at the start of the ride. Maybe because she'll have a buddy, she'll be able to stay relaxed.

2 comments:

  1. what a milestone!You both are ON YOUR WAY. I am truly excited for you and hope to come to Ridgecret to see you off. tedi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Please keep doing these so that eventually me and mom can join you.

    ReplyDelete