Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Goals


The first time I saw Calico, I thought, I want to ride that horse in the Helldorado Parade! It's funny because I'm not that interested in show-ring horses; they live an unnatural life, kinda like a  six year old beauty queen, but Calico is a part of Las Vegas history. She's flashy. She'll be an excellent trail horse, no doubt. My ultimate goal, of course, is endurance. I know the sport is dominated by Arabians, but mustangs do well. They may not be in the top ten finishers, but they can finish. Oh wait, there was that one that won the Tevis. That's the Western States Trail Ride that starts in Truckee and ends 100 miles later in Auburn. The completion award is a sterling silver belt buckle with a Pony Express Rider and the words "100 miles -One Day". I want that. Dave and I were pit crew for my friend Carol in this ride. She's made it 75 miles before her horse got pulled for lameness. I haven't even attempted that ride, so I should be pulled for lameness now! Only about half of the two hundred riders that start out make it to Auburn. I've never been very competitive; that's why I love endurance, "to finish is to win", that's the motto. With careful conditioning, and preparations we can easily reach my goal of doing a 50 (miles) when I'm 5o, then maybe we can do a 100 when I'm 100. Goals are just dreams deadlines, so I'm told, and lots of short-term goals along the way. Next step, riding her.

1 comment:

  1. I like how this pic shows how healthy her hooves are...she may be great for endurance!

    ReplyDelete