Thursday, February 19, 2009

Endurance




When I had my Arabian gelding, Majur Storm, I kept a training and conditioning log as we prepared for our Limited Distance ride (25 miles) in Washoe Valley. This was one of the happiest days of my life. It was a first for both of us, and I felt it was important to track our progress. When I brought Calico home, it seemed natural to keep a record of our progress, since she's just starting out. This blog is really my reflection of our journey together. I've been learning about endurance riding for the past fifteen years, and that one LD is the only ride I've had the pleasure of entering. I've been a timer, have crewed at other rides, been to the AERC convention trade show, sat in the Auburn Fairgrounds at 3:00 am watching the Tevis riders crossing the finish line. I love the sport but I've always found myself on the fringe. Now, I believe my hope of developing that deep bond with this one special animal is unfolding before me. My heart is full of gratitude for this wonderful gift I've been given. It's by the grace of God that I get to have her. Also, I have to thank my dear friend Carol, for introducing me to the sport and inspiring me all these years. It's because of her that in 1994, a 31 year old mother of five, got back in the saddle after a long, long time away, and discovered she's just as horse-crazy as she was when she was 12. Actually, I'm more horse-crazy than when I was twelve, ask my family.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this top picture of you, and the bottom picture of Cali.

    ReplyDelete